Painful shoulder after surgery for a torn rotator cuff

Patient

Q: I had surgery on a tored rotator cuff and bone spurr in 2010 my shoulder hurts more now then before surgery i called other doctors but they wont see me because they say i am a liability where can i go from here.

Doctor

A:   Possibly after the surgical repair of the rotator cuff you are experiencing an Impingement Syndrome which is cause of chronic shoulder pain,  this may result from inflammation, damage, or both to the structures that lie within the subacromial space. These structures include the subacromial bursa and the rotator cuff tendons. Also produce limitation to raise the arm above 90 degrees. Conservative treatment often begins with measures to reduce pain and inflammation, including activity modification, meaning avoiding movements of the arm. Physical therapy modalities (TENS, ultrasound, moist heat), and non-steroidal anti-inflammatory medications (NSAIDs) might be used as treatment. If this is not effective, the next step is a subacromial corticosteroid injection, it can decrease inflammation/pain and improve function, thus allowing improved range of motion and facilitating rehabilitative and strengthening exercises. If no improvement is observed following injection, further imaging studies are indicated and a re assessment by your surgeon.