Painful skin lesion on the neck

Patient

Q: I have a small legion on my neck with a depressed center and what appears to be "bladders" around it. It is very painful and i have tried heat and boil creams to no avail. Should I be worried and what can I do to remedy the situation?

Doctor

A:   The most probable cause of the skin lesion is herpes zoster or shingles. The disease is characterised by a painful skin rash with blisters. Most, if not all, cases of shingles are treated with antivirals. The virus that causes shingles stays on the nerves; if not treated with antivirals, it can be very painful and disturbing. I strongly suggest you should see your doctor and request for a prescription of antivirals. I do hope this helps and take care always.