Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Painful urination–Urinary tract infection?

Painful urination–Urinary tract infection?

Patient: Hello,I am a 24 year old male, and I have been experiencing painful urination for the last 3 or 4 days. After urination, my penis will continue to hurt for 5 or 10 minutes. It’s also painful when squeezed or touched, particularly in a spot just below the head. From the outside, everything looks normal. There are no visual blisters or lesions, no swelling, no lesions, and no discharge. I’m not urinating more frequently than normal, but my stream has been splitting/fanning out.I had unprotected anal sex with my girlfriend about a week ago, and I’m concerned that I may have gotten a urinary tract infection from the bacteria or some sort of STI. My girlfriend is almost certain that she doesn’t have any STIs or STDs. The last sexual partner she had before me was last October, and she hasn’t had any symptoms of a STI or STD. I visited a doctor on Friday, and they ordered some tests but didn’t have much else to say. I won’t get the results of the tests until next week. My girlfriend is going to get tested next week. Instead of a UTI or STI/STD, could this be some sort of stricture/injury as a result of the anal sex?This may be unrelated, but I’ve had a cold for a couple of months. It kind of comes and goes, but the coughing, thick green mucus, sore throat, sneezing, etc has remained.What does this all sound like to you? Can I do anything about this in the meantime? The pain is tough to deal with. If the tests all come back negative and my doctor insists on doing nothing, what should I do? Should I demand antibiotics, or just go see a urologist? Thanks!

Symptoms: Painful urination, pain in penis

Doctor: The STI’s or STD’s in females could be silent and not apparent at all. Symptoms do indicate infection includ ing UTI. Better be examined and allow the physician to deal with the problem. If still present, do meet the urologist.