Painful UTI now with slight blood when urinating

Patient

Q: I am pretty sure i have a UTI. It started two days ago and was quite painful, it went away yesterday, and it has come back again today after lunch time, and is worse than ever. I didn't go to the doctor, instead I went to the chemist and got hiprex antibacterial tablets to supress and eliminate the urinary bacteria. I then took some Panadol. So far the pain is still very large, the need to urinate has increased in the past few hours alot. The past few times I've been to the toilet, I've had faint pink blood when wiping. What should I do, what might be the cause. I need something to help the pain now before i can get to the doctor tomorrow.
thankyou

Symptoms:  Constant painful burning sensation, slight pink blood when urinating, fever (?)
Doctor

Thank you for your query at AskTheDoctor.com

It seems like you are suffering from severe UTI. It is recommended you do not start any medicines before getting the culture reports, because of increased prevalence of resistance.
You need to get a urine routine and urine culture done as soon as possible.
In most cases, Tab. Cotrimoxazole ( TMP-SMX ) taken twice daily for a period of 7-10 days reduces the infection. The pain can be due to bladder spasm if there is associated cystitis, it can be relieved by taking Tab. Urispas 2-3 times daily depending on the severity.

An RFT is also important to rule out a kidney infection, as it can present with hematuria.
You need to ensure you are drinking at least 4-5 liters of water, and cranberry juice without sugar can be taken to reduce the burning sensation.

Hope this was helpful.
Regards.