Painless Swelling

Patient

Q: Sir
I have painless swelling in my groin visible only while standing. What it coul dbe?

No problems with it so far.

Not visible while lying down

Doctor

A:   Thank you for your question. This painless swelling in your groin are could be a swollen inguinal lymph node. During times of localized infections in the are of the genitals, these lymph nodes can swell. It is possible that this may have been a response to a sub-clinical infection (very mild symptoms experienced) resulting in this swelling in the groin area.
Another possible cause for this swelling is that you could be developing an inguinal hernia. This is a protrusion of the intestine through a weakened area of the abdominal muscles near the groin region. These can eventually get larger in size and become more painful. We recommend that you promptly have this swelling examined by your doctor to determine what the exact cause of it is. Please see your doctor.

Thank you for choosing AskTheDoctor.com for your medical question.