Painless swelling in upper outer thigh

Patient

Q: One of my upper outer thighs is larger. Feels like there is a pad under the skin or swelling. Pant on that leg feels tighter. I can't feel a distinct lump but then I'm 25 pounds overweight. No pain, feels like I'm laying on something when I'm on my side. X-ray according to doctor was completely negative and blood work good. Also, knee hurts off and on, (an injury). Could they be related?

Doctor

A:   In the view that the regular X-rays came out negative maybe you need a imaging studie with more resolution to determine the nature of the lump in your thigh, you stated that you are overweight, possibly the lump may be a Lipoma , which is a benign and slow-growing tumor of fat cells, situated between your skin and the underlying muscle layer . It is painless and does not alter the results of blood work. No treatment is usually necessary for a lipoma. However, if the lipoma is in a location that bothers you, is painful or is growing, your doctor might recommend that it be removed.