Palpitations and feeling faint

Patient

Q: Recently, I feel Like I am going to faint and at the same time m,y heart begins to beat quickly

Doctor

A:   The sensation of rapid heartbeats and palpitations can often be due to premature ventricular complexes, which are generally benign. It is not unusual to feel the sensation of your heart beating quickly in certain situations such as while you lie down to sleep at night. However, sometimes these sensations may be caused by heart rhythm abnormalities. I advise attending your family doctor for a full history and clinical examination. He can perform an ECG (electrical trace of the heart) and some routine blood tests including thyroid function tests. He may refer you for a 24 hour Holter (heart) monitor. This records a 24 hour electrical trace of the heart and will check for any heart rhythm abnormalities.