Pap Smears and the Pill

Patient: I’m on the pill and I just booked in to get a Pap Smear. Will the pill mess up my results from the pap smear? Should I stop taking it before I go for my appointment?

Doctor: Hello, I am aware of your concern about PAP smear while taking Oral Contraceptives. Let me reassure you that there is no alteration of the PAP smear results that could be produced by taking Oral Contraceptives.The PAP smear test looks for a sample of cells taken from a womans cervix. The test is used to look for changes in the cells of the cervix that show Cervical Cancer or conditions that may develop into Cancer.Pap screen testing should begin atage 21. Routine screening is recommended every two years for women 21-29 years old. For certain women 30 years and older who have had three consecutive normal screening test results, testing can be done every three years. I hope I could clear your doubt.