Paracetamol with Mercilon?

Patient

Q: Can you take ordinary paracetamol (550mg tablets) while on the pill and it is still an effective contraceptive? I'm specifically on Mercilion.

Doctor

A:   Thank you for your question. Taking Acetaminophen (Paracetamol) while you are on ethinylestradiol/desogestrel (Mercilon) will not affect its contraceptive protection but it is possible that the analgesic (pain relieving) affect of acetaminophen can be decreased or delayed. This is a very minor interaction between these two medications. It is important that you do not attempt to increase your dosage of acetaminophen if at all you find that it is not working to relieve your pain, but rather speak to your doctor regarding saver alternative in treating your pain. Please be guided accordingly.

Thank you for choosing AskTheDoctor.com for you medical question.