Parkinsons and constipation

Q: My Nan's Parkinsons has been causing her a lot of constipation these last few months. She's 83 and has always eaten plenty of fibre.

Before Christmas it became so bad she started to almost starve herself, skipping meals because she feared eating would worsen the blockage. This made her extremely weak and unsteady. She was in a lot of pain and had to go to hospital.

Since then the doctors have been altering her parkinsons medication a lot and for a while she was feeling better.

But they changed it recently and the constipation, pain and tightness in her stomach are getting bad again. We're worried she's going to start not eating enough again which is always particularly worse for her as she is someone who has always needed to eat little and often, otherwise feels unwell.

Doctors have told her to eat normally even while there's a blockage. When it was bad she drank a lot of warm drinks, ate jelly and other things that are good for constipation.

I wanted to know the risks and benefits of eating when you have a possible bowel blockage?

Is there any information about what physically happens to food in the body when there's a blockage that would make her less worried?

I'd be very grateful for any info at all as her doctor hasn't been very supportive.

Symptoms:  pain and tightness in stomach