Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Paronychia – infection of the nail skin

Paronychia – infection of the nail skin

Patient: I have paronychia and have had it for several days, i have been put on antibiotics but they dont seem to be working. My finger is extremely swollen and bright red,im guessing that the infection has spread because my entire finger is now swollen. i also have puss coming out of my finger nail but despite all this i was simply put on antibiotics, do you think i should return to the hospital for a second opinion?

Doctor: The pus that has started to come out needs to be drained effectively and cleaned, at this stage, so in my opinion you sh ould visit the hospital for treatment and prevention of the spread of infection.The pus that has started to come out needs to be drained effectively and cleaned, at this stage, so in my opinion you should visit the hospital for treatment and prevention of the spread of infection.