Partner contracted HSV-1 in genitals, what do i do?

Patient

Q: What are the implications of being with a partner who has contracted HSV-1 in their genital region?

Doctor

A:   Thank you for your question. Herpes Simplex Virus Type 1 is a virus that commonly oral herpes outbreaks or 'cold sores'. This in fact can also infect the genital region causing genital herpes. It is important if you are engaging in sexual activity with someone who has genital herpes (either caused by HSV-1 or HSV-2), that you avoid sexual contact during times of outbreaks of herpetic genital warts. This will prevent the high risk of contracting this virus. During times when the virus is dormant, and there are no active lesions, you can engage in sexual activity with very low risk of contracting the virus. For added safety, you can use barrier protection such as condoms, which will decrease the risk of contracting the HSV-1/2 virus.

Thank you for choosing AskTheDoctor.com