Patela Tendon Rupture, black and blue bruises around knee

Q: My father fell last week and according to the doctor we saw most likely has a patella tendon rupture, we got an MRI and the nurse said there was considerable damage done. In addition theyve put him in a leg brace and if he tries to bend it hes in excruciating pain. At the moment we are scheduled for surgery monday, my question is while is he in the bed and cant move the leg Im beginning to notice alot of black and blue spots over the area around the knee, is this normal with an injury like this and are there any steps I should be taking in the mean time.

Symptoms:  Knee injury, Patella tendon rupture

A:   Hi
Thanks for your query
I have gone through your query and understand your concern. Your father got bruises around knee joint which are black and blue which has occurred following patellar tendon rupture. He is scheduled for surgery on Monday. No need to worry this is normal in such injury. You can do icing of part to reduce swelling. Hope your query get answered. Wishing you a good health. Take care.