Patella fracture treatment

Q: Hello, about two weeks ago I fell really hard on the concrete and landed flat on my knees. Both knees were very bruised and it hurt to walk or bend my knees for the first week. The second week I was able to walk fine/normal but going up stairs or bending my knees felt sensitive and I still felt a little bit of pain. I am worried because I can feel a small dent in my left knee cap (most impact). What is the dent? Did I fracture the knee cap?

A:   It is possible that you have fractured your knee cap (patella). Direct trauma to the patella, as you have described, is often the mechanism which leads to a fracture of the patella. You will need to do some test to confirm the diagnosis including xrays. This type of fracture often times can be treated with a cast for 4-6weeks and then a hinged knee brace until complete recovery has occurred.