Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Patellar tendon partial tear three months ago

Patellar tendon partial tear three months ago

Patient: Im a 20 year old female and back in may i was diagnosed with a partial tear in my patellar tendon so the doctor gave me a brace and ive been attending physical therapy twice a week since the incident. Now 3 months later my knee is no better what do

Doctor: In the view of the timeframe that you described going to physical therapy, about 3 months now, I strongly recommend gett ing an appointment with an orthopedic surgeon to re-assess your knee function and the patellar tendon healing process, and maybe make changes in the physical therapy treatment. During all this time in PT and doing everything right, the partial tear might have heal enough to begin strengthening and range of motion exercises so you recover your previous healthy status, unless there is another hidden or unnoticed issue, that’s why I am recommending you a re-assessment by a specialist.