Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Patellofemoral syndrome please help

Patellofemoral syndrome please help

Patient: I have had patellofemoral syndrome for 5 weeks its ruining my life, any advice on how i can get rid of it, i also have some back pain too and creaking noises in my legs, please help I’ve been depressed for over a month.

Symptoms: Knee pain and aches, creaking, lower back pain and creaking in lower back area.

Doctor: Hello,Thanks for contacting askthedoctor.com for an opinion.If you have been diagnosed with patellofemoral syndr ome in this early age in life then i understand your problems that you must be facing in a day to day life here. Patellofemoral syndrome is caused by imbalances in the forces controlling patellar tracking during knee flexion and extension, particularly with overloading of the joint or overuse, trauma, muscle dysfunction, patellar hypermobility, and poor quadriceps flexibility. Typical symptoms include pain behind or around the patella that is increased with running and activities that involve knee flexion.The best form of therapy for restrengthening the lateral ligaments and patellar support is rest and physiotherapy exercises under supervised hands. The approach is usually conservative to start with as many a patients relief is obtained with the same. The idea is to reduce load to the patellofemoral joint and surrounding soft tissues is the first step to reduce pain. If you are into resistance training exercises then cessation of specific exercises such as full squats and lunges should be adopted. If you are a Runner,then you should reduce mileage to a level that does not provoke pain (while running or the day after running). Alternative activities such as bicycling, swimming, or the use of an elliptical trainer can be used to maintain fitness while treatment is ongoing. Ice or other methods of cold application may further reduce symptoms. Heat is generally not recommended.If the symptoms are not relieved by these methods then physiotherapy has to be resorted to with specific exercises specially cut down to strengthen the local supports of the patella. However for a daily use, you may have to use a KNEE CAP or a patellar brace while walking or there are patellar tapes available to avoid subluxation of patella while walking and keeping its anatomy restored. Pain killers may be added as and when required.If all these measures are unable to find you relief and a competent lifestyle then you may have to resort to surgical intervention for a permanent treatment which is at present not advised.It is suggested that you may discuss the options with your physician in detail and take an informed decision thereafter.I hope i have answered your query in detail,Wishing you good health,regards