October 21, 2018

PCOD & Thyroid and Pregnancy

Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > PCOD & Thyroid and Pregnancy

Patient: Hi. I am a 35 Years Female, married & a mother of 5 years old son. I am suffering from PCOD & Thyroid . I am taking Metatime-500 & Thyronorm-75mcg since last one year. Both were diagnosed together one year ago. I wish to conceive again. Can to advise me on the tests that would be needed beforehand or would i need to stop the medications & risks involved?

Symptoms: PCOD & Thyroid

Doctor: Hello,Thanks for the query.There is no need to stop any of the medicines, continue them even on conception. Metfor min has been proved to be safe while at pregnancy. Start yourself on folic acid supplements one month prior to conception to avoid neural tube defects. Also, you may have to do tests like LH, FSH, Prolactin and thyroid levels to check the present status of PCOS and thyroid imbalance. An ultrasound of the abdomen and pelvis may be needed. Also a check on the sugar levels, fasting and postprandial may be done. See a Gynecologist with above reports, so that the doctor can modify the treatment accordingly.Hope this helpedGood luck.

Was this answer helpful?
Yes
No