Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Pcos and cardio to lose weight

Pcos and cardio to lose weight

Patient: My name is Rebecca and I have insulin resistance and pcos.For the last month I have been very strict with my diet, losing 8kgs. I have also exercised twice in the last 3 days and have gained half a kg. why is this? I have read that cardio can cease weight loss and even encourage weight gain from creating more testosterone. Is this right? What is the best exercise for me to do to lose weight? I am trying to her my period back and lose about 30kgs. Please help.

Symptoms: Weight gain after cardio

Doctor: Hello, it is very bad notion that exercise could result in weight gain , any kind if exercise will only strengthen muscl es, so as a part of strengthening they would gain some weight but that is a muscular gain in weight not fat weight , so it is good ,healthy and keeps you active and makes you look slimmer and toned when compared to a person who has the same weight (but doesn’t exercise. And now the solution how to get rid of 30 kgs is that you have to take much of protein diet and less carbohydrate diet , initially this will be hard with normal food , so you can go for any protein powders available in market and substitute two times of your meals with just this protein powder and fruits for two weeks , this will easily reduce 10 kgs of your weight and then you can cut it down to twice a week and eating eggs , nuts , seeds like boiled black gram , green gram , horse gram etc along with different types of exercises like swimming ,gym , cardio, aerobics alternating with each other ,t will definitely give you results , and also make sure that your insulin resistance is being treated properly by a general physician otherwise above said remedies wouldn’t work . Take care .