PCOS and Menstrual irregularities

Patient

Q: I have PCOS, I'm 21 years of age. I have the following symptoms. Sickness, fatigue, noses bleeds, emotions all over the place, absent period, sore lower back. However i have done 4 home pregnancy tests and my period is over 5days late. What is wrong with me?

Doctor

A:   The symptoms you've mentioned may not necessarily be due to pregnancy but may be the result of the PCOS. PCOS may real to menstrual irregularities including amenorrhea (absent periods). You may want to go back to your OB Gyne and ask about the PCOS, I think the PCOS should be treated; it may be the root cause of your amenorrhea. Some women with PCOS are started birth control pills to gain regular menstrual periods but ask a prescription from your OB and ask her opinion on what should be the best move in your case.