Pea sized lump in upper right chest

Patient

Q: 28, female and just noticed a pea sized hard lump in upper right chest about 2 inches below the collar bone. Tender when pushed on. Seems to be able to be moved around but not sure. Had breast exam/ultrasound last month that came back clear. What could this be and should I be worried?

Symptoms:  Tenderness in area
Doctor

A:   Thank you for your question. This swelling could be a swollen lymph node which is responding to an area of localized infection. Another possible cause of this swelling is that this swelling could be an inflamed sebaceous cyst. This is caused by a clogged sebaceous gland of the skin, which can become infected and inflamed. In light of your clear breast examination we believe that this may not be related. However, we would like you to have this swelling in person by a doctor to make sure it is not infected. Infections in this area can in fact spread to the breast tissue, making this a more difficult infection to treat. Please seek medical attention.

Thank you for consulting AskTheDoctor.com