Pediatric assistance re tongue usage by 15 month old

Patient

Q: My 14 month old granddaughter has a habit of sticking her tongue to the left of her mouth and I would like to know if this is just a habit or whether she may have some kind of problem. She appears normal in every other respect and I do not want to alarm her parents. They have noticed it and do not like for me to take her picture when she is doing that.

Symptoms:  No other visible symptoms
Doctor

Thank you for your medical query at AskTheDoctor.com

Tongue protrusion outside the mouth can be a feature of down syndrome, hypothyroidism, mucopolysaccharidoses, etc

If she has no other features of a syndromic facies or there is no delay in the developmental milestones, then there is nothing to worry about.

You did not mention any other symptoms, so it most likely is due to a habit.

Hope this was helpful,