Peeling, Cracking Finger- Not Just Your Run-of-Mill Cold Weather Season Cracking

Patient : A couple weeks ago the skin right on the tips of my fingers was cracking and I figured it was because of the cold weather and I do have dry hands. The cracking healed up except on my right thumb where there was a larger than usual crack and since then it has only gotten the worse. The skin on my thumb has been peeling and its raw with cracks that thicken when dry and open easily; sometimes they open cracks bleed (not bad, just small paper-cut like bleeding) when dried out. The thumb sometimes burns and itches, not usually when it is dried out. When it is dried out though the skin "dies" and turns a nasty yellow-brown color and peels off and it hurts. It is slowly peeling and its bothering me and I don't know what to do! I have tried covering it with a bandage, neosporin and bacitracin and I have to use band-aids with discretion because band-aid adhesive irritates my skin intensely. I would prefer to use an OTC treatment or home remedy as I can't really afford to the see a doctor unless this is serious. Please help!