Pelvic pain after emergency contraception

Q: Three weeks ago my boyfriend and i had sex,the condom broke so the morning after i took the morning after pill,i started experiancing bad pelvic pain so i consulted mt my gp and he gave me anti biotics,after another week i was still experiencing pain and had gotten my period but it was much lighter with a brown discharge aswell,it has been three weeks and i still have pain,what do you think is my best option?

A:   I do understand your concern for pelvic pain after emergency contraception. Nausea, vomiting, breast tenderness, fatigue headache and abdominal pain are common side effects experienced after emergency contraception. I would suggest that you follow up with your doctor for further evaluation. You may need a blood-work and microscopical examination of the discharge to determine the presence of an infection or STD, also an ultrasound and urinalysis may be done to rule out kidney stones and a urinary tract infection.