Pelvic pain with heavy periods: possible Endometriosis

Patient: Hi, I have been suffering from pelvic pain (dull heavy ache all the time and sharp flashing pains) for around 3 weeks now it came out of nowhere. I also had a very heavy period, normally very light 2-3 days. I feel incredibly bloated. I have also lost my appetite. I was put on antbiotics i finished the course but it is no better in fact it’s getting worse. I also now have thrush due to taking anitbiotics. My mother had cervix cancer which moved to womb etc when she was 28, I am 32. What do you think should be the best course of action? many thanks!

Doctor: According to your description, Endometriosis should be rule out. When a woman has endometriosis, the tissue that lines h er uterus, called the endometrium, grows outside of the uterus. When this tissue grows outside of the uterus, it is often found in the pelvic cavity, usually in one or more of these places: on or under the ovaries, behind the uterus, on the tissues that hold the uterus in place, or on the bowels or bladder. In very rare cases, endometriosis areas can grow in the lungs or other parts of the body. The endometriosis growths are affected by the monthly menstrual cycle. Each month, the lining of the uterus thickens to get ready for pregnancy. If a woman does not become pregnant, the lining of the uterus sheds and the woman bleeds. When a woman has endometriosis, the growths outside of the uterus also bleed during her period. But there is no way for the blood to leave her body, and inflammation and scar tissue can develop. Blockage or bleeding in the intestines and problems with bladder function may also occur. A common symptom of endometriosis is pain, mostly in the abdomen, lower back, and pelvic areas. The amount of pain a woman feels is not linked to how much endometriosis she has. Some women have no pain even though their disease affects large areas, or there is scarring. Some women, on the other hand, have severe pain even though they have only a few small areas of endometriosis. I suggest that you have an evaluation by your OB-Gyn doctor  and from there choose the best treatment option in your case.