Penis irritation/burning


Q: My husband of 12 years, penis burns after intercourse and he gets red dryspots. Weve been tested for STDs, yeast infections, etc. Everything has been cleared and this has just started over the last 6-7yrs. I've seen comments about the pH levels or him being allergic to vaginal fluids. Can you help? Is there something I should be doing or trying to make my ph levels better? He is currently using protopic (i think that's what it's called.) I don't like condoms :(

Symptoms:  Burning, red dry spots on penis

A:   Thank you for your question. It is possible that acidic vaginal secretions could be irritating the sensitive tissue your husbands penis. To treat this, we recommend washing soon after intercourse, and applying a hypoallergenic lotion to the area to keep it moisturized. Furthermore, it may be possible that the irritation that he is experiencing could be age related as well. If your husband is 45 years or older it is possible that the natural decline of testosterone could also be causing dryness, sensitivity and irritation prone skin of the genital area. We recommend that he get his testosterone levels measured to determine if this is contributing to his problem. Furthermore, the use of water based lubricants can assist in creating a barrier against acidic vaginal secretions during intercourse.

Thank you for choosing

Related Q&A

Q: I am 34 weeks pregnant and have grade 4 placenta previa, I have already had one heavy bleed and a hospital stay, I am...

Q: I have had clear discharge from my penis for about two months it started 3 days after i had oral/anal sex. Since 3 we...

Q: Any chance of getting a std from a handjob from a massage place? I got one 2 weeks ago, and for some time I feel a li...

Q: Tarted a new pill pack on October 4th (I think I started a few hours late, but less than 24 hours). Had sex on 9th ni...

Q: My husband and I havent had sex in the past 8 months. I'm 30 years old and my husband is 30 as well. Everytime we try...


Dr. James Obaji M.D.

  • 247 Reviews
  • Family Physician

Dr. Suneel Sharman M.D.

  • 190 Reviews
  • Family Physician

Dr. Pat Golden M.D.

  • 169 Reviews
  • Cardiologist

Dr. Kunaal Jindal M.D.

  • 112 Reviews
  • Plastic Surgeon