Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Penis smells like fish

Penis smells like fish

Patient: DoctorRecently my penis has started to smell like fish…I shower twice a day and I am circumcised….Any idea what might cause this

Doctor: Thank you for your question. This distinct ‘fishy’ odor could be due to the fact you may have an infection with a bact eria called Trichomonas. This bacteria is commonly spread by unprotected sexual intercourse, and infects women more than men. Your symptoms may be sub-clinical if you are not experiencing discharge, burning during urination and pelvic pain.It is also possible that this odor could be caused by a yeast infection. Both of these infections require treatment with prescription medication. We recommend that you consult your doctor and have STD testing performed to determine the cause of this odor. Once treated this odor should resolve without complication.Thanks for consulting AskTheDoctor.com.