Perianal abscess

Patient

Q: Im booked into day surgery to have a perianal abscess incision and drainage, will i be asleep and what can i expect?

Doctor

A:   The procedure may be performed under general or regional anesthesia. They type of anesthesia used will depend on the specialist administering it. He/she will perform a complete examination and decide which is best for you. As for the procedure itself, the surgeon will make an incision on the abscess and evacuate all the infected tissue. The abscess cavity will remain open so that the infection does not reaccumulate. It is a quick and simple procedure. You will also be given a course of antibiotics and be reviewed within a week to make sure the wound is healing well.