Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Perimenopause and Menstrual Irregularities

Perimenopause and Menstrual Irregularities

Patient: I am 47 yrs old I am premenopause I didn’t have a period last month and this month I started over a week ago and it is really heavy and I never had this type of flow in my whole life my periods last normal 2-3 days for the passed 20 yrs..

Doctor: It is very likely that your increased bleeding during periods could be due to the approaching menopause that usually oc curs during this age period. You may notice certain irregularities in your periods during this time including change in timing, duration and heaviness of periods. If you continue to experience frequent heavy menstrual bleeds and associated symptoms like abdominal pain, hot flashes, emotional changes etc. contact your GP right away.