Period, but a Positive Test

Patient

Q: My period was 9 days late this month & when I finally got my period it was a little bit lighter than usual but other than that it seemed pretty normal. Well iI have been having some pregnancy symptoms even before I got my period,so iI decided to take a test & it came back positive but literally the next night I took another test & it came back negative, so I don't know which test to believe. So Could I be pregnant?

Symptoms:  Frequent urination, light headness, a little dizzy ,headaches, tingly boobs , mood swings, fatigue, little ovary cramps, some back pain, a little nausea
Doctor

A:   Having a period and testing positive for a pregnancy can easily be explained by the fact that often on pregnant women experience some amount of bleeding/spotting, termed as Implantation bleeding.It is one of several signs of pregnancy and is the result of the attachment of the fertilized egg to the lining of the uterus.
However an ambiguous pregnancy test result raises suspicion that something could be amiss. False positivity rates of urinary pregnancy kits (as claimed by the manufacturers) are less than 1 percent.
Most often, the cause for the false positivity is generally an improper method of testing. The home pregnancy test instructions usually will specify when test results should be interpreted and when test results are no longer valid. This is because some test kits will produce a faint positive test result if read after the instructed time. False positivity can also rarely occur because of certain uncommon medical conditions such as choriocarcinoma, ovarian tumours etc. that can cause positive results on a home pregnancy test.
If you have had an ambiguous result from a home pregnancy test, it is advisable to follow up with your doctor for an examination. Most likely, your doctor will test your blood sample for hCG hormone for a confirmation of your results before proceeding with further investigations for the same.