Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Period four days late??

Period four days late??

Patient: I had unprotected sex December 31 for a few seconds he didn’t ejaculate inside me and the morning after I took 4 of my tri cyclen birth control pills thinking it would act as the morning after pill, I took my last pill 4 days ago, so my period is four days late, could taking those 4 pills delay it in any way??

Symptoms: None

Doctor: Hi,Thanks for the query.I understand your concern.After stopping the birth control pills, withdrawal bleeding c an be expected in around one week.As you have taken four pills at a time for emergency purpose, that can also affect the onset of bleeding.So, wait for one more week, possibly by that time you will get the withdrawal bleeding.If not, better to go for urine pregnancy test once.Take care.