Period in the middle of the pill packet

Q: I have started taking the Pill over a month ago. I am on my second packet now. I have never missed a day, but I am still adjusting to taking it at the same time everyday. Some days I take it a few hours later, but I have been trying to get better at it. After starting my second packet, halfway through I have noticed slight spotting. I thought it would go away but the spotting started getting heavier and has lasted almost a week now and has developed into a period. I have also been getting bad cramps with it.
Last night I got a bit worried as I have also stated getting really bad heartburn, something I have never previously experienced, followed by diarrhea.The big question is whether all of this could be related to an early pregnancy or is it just some sort of a flu and a period due to my body adjusting to the pill? Should I also consult my doctor about the mid-pill period?

Symptoms:  Out of cycle period, tiredness, heartburn, diarrhea

A:   Hi,

Birth control pills can present with symptoms like by breakthrough bleeding, nausea, abdominal cramps etc.
Altering the time of intake of the pill can lead to breakthrough bleeding.
Abdominal cramps, diarrhea etc can also be due to gastrointestinal disturbances.
With regular intake of pills without missing, the possibility of pregnancy is less.
As you are had prolonged intermenstrual spotting and having heartburn and diarrhea, better to consult your doctor once and get examined.
By an examination and an ultrasound, the possibility of pregnancy can be ruled out and then you can take treatment for gastroenteritis.
If the intermenstrual spotting repeats, you can take the support of antifibrinolytic drugs or an additional dose of hormones with your doctor's advice.

Take care