Period late - can I be pregnant?

Patient

Q: I am a 32 year old Female. I had my period on 7th Sep (my avergage cycle length is 30 days). I had intercourse on 28th of Sep. I was expecting my period to come on 7th Oct, but it did not. Instead i had very light bleeding on 13-14 oct. Today, 15 oct, there is no further bleeding. Can i be pregnant.

Doctor

A:   What you are experiencing sounds like what is known as Implantation bleeding. This is more likely if you are also experiencing pregnancy like symptoms.
The fertilized egg when it implants onto the lining of the womb causes some amount of bleeding from the site of implantation. This is generally called as Implantation bleeding. It is light pink or brownish in color and typically lasts only for 2 – 3 days. The bleeding is characteristically seen 6 – 12 days after ovulation and is many a times mistaken as the period by many women.
Now that you have missed your periods it would be a good idea to take the pregnancy test.The best way to know if the bleeding you are experiencing is Implantation bleeding or a period is to do a home pregnancy test. You just have to follow the instructions on the pack and you can test yourself without any hassles.