Period symptoms vs pregnancy

Patient

Q: Hello,
I am 19 years old. I am experiencing all kinds of signs that my period is coming. For example, a little bit of lower pain here and there but nothing severe, tender breasts, tired, gas a lot, etc. I had sex with my ex back in the early month of October after my period and we used a condom. I have irregular period. Some known to be exactly 28 days, then the next would be 32, then 35, then back to 30. So I never have a steady period. I’m not sure when I am supposed to have it this month but I really hope I do get it. A couple weeks ago before these symptoms I had old blood on my underwear. I understand this might mean my hormones are changing or something? I have a pregnancy test but I am so scared to take it. This has never happened to me before. If I am pregnant my mom would KILL me. & I would be upset to because abortion would be the best since I am no longer with the guy. It’s so hard to distinguish pregnancy symptoms with period ones. Help? Thank You!

Symptoms:  Bloating, a little cramps, tired, gas, constipation
Doctor

Thanks for contacting askthedoctor.com
I understand your predicament completely and also agree that the symptoms of PMS are similar to that of early pregnancy symptoms. The best way to rule out pregnancy would be now to do a urine pregnancy test after 7 days of missed period . This shall confirm or negate pregnancy.
Though symptoms are more towards PMS as you used barrier contraception for protection , so chances of conceiving is minimal.
I hope i have answered your query.
wishing you good health,
regards