Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Period that is lasting more than 3 weeks.

Period that is lasting more than 3 weeks.

Patient: Hello my name is courtney and im worried because I have been on my period for 3 weeks now and still going. Before this period i didnt have a period at all for 3 months. I am really heavy and seem not to be slowing down on my bleeding, and im bleeding like clumps like tissue! Im just worryied. What should I do?

Symptoms: Cramps

Doctor: Heavy menstrual period is not normal. It is called menorrhagia. In some cases, the cause of heavy menstrual bleeding is unknown, but a number of conditions may cause menorrhagia. Common causes include:***Hormone imbalance.In a normal menstrual cycle, a balance between the hormones estrogen and progesterone regulates the buildup of the lining of the uterus (endometrium), which is shed during menstruation. If a hormone imbalance occurs, the endometrium develops in excess and eventually sheds by way of heavy menstrual bleeding.***Dysfunction of the ovaries.If your ovaries don’t release an egg (ovulate) during a menstrual cycle (anovulation), your body doesn’t produce the hormone progesterone, as it would during a normal menstrual cycle. This leads to hormone imbalance and may result in menorrhagia.***Uterine fibroids.These noncancerous (benign) tumors of the uterus appear during your childbearing years. Uterine fibroids may cause heavier than normal or prolonged menstrual bleeding.***Polyps.Small, benign growths on the lining of the uterus (uterine polyps) may cause heavy or prolonged menstrual bleeding. Polyps of the uterus most commonly occur in women of reproductive age as the result of high hormone levels.***Adenomyosis.This condition occurs when glands from the endometrium become embedded in the uterine muscle, often causing heavy bleeding and painful menses. Adenomyosis is most likely to develop if you’re a middle-aged woman who has had children.***Intrauterine device (IUD).Menorrhagia is a well-known side effect of using a nonhormonal intrauterine device for birth control. When an IUD is the cause of excessive menstrual bleeding, you may need to remove it.***Pregnancy complications.A single, heavy, late period may be due to a miscarriage. If bleeding occurs at the usual time of menstruation, however, miscarriage is unlikely to be the cause. An ectopic pregnancy — implantation of a fertilized egg within the fallopian tube instead of the uterus — also may cause menorrhagia.***Cancer.Rarely, uterine cancer, ovarian cancer and cervical cancer can cause excessive menstrual bleeding.Inherited bleeding disorders. Some blood coagulation disorders — such as von Willebrand’s disease, a condition in which an important blood-clotting factor is deficient or impaired — can cause abnormal menstrual bleeding.***Medications.Certain drugs, including anti-inflammatory medications and anticoagulants, can contribute to heavy or prolonged menstrual bleeding.***Other medical conditions.A number of other medical conditions, including pelvic inflammatory disease (PID), thyroid problems, endometriosis, and liver or kidney disease, may be associated with menorrhagia.Thus, Menorrhagia is the medical term for menstrual periods with abnormally heavy or prolonged bleeding. Although heavy menstrual bleeding is a common concern among premenopausal women, most women don’t experience blood loss severe enough to be defined as menorrhagia.With menorrhagia, every period you have causes enough blood loss and cramping that you can’t maintain your usual activities. If you have menstrual bleeding so heavy that you dread your period, talk with your doctor. There are many effective treatments for menorrhagia.