Period Twice a Month

Patient

Q: Hi my name is Julia! I am currently 18 years old and have a question concerning my menstrual cycle. I am on birth control but I tend to miss a day here or there but then I take two pills the following day. I didn't think this to be a problem till last month when I started getting two periods a month (only a week or so apart). I am highly concerned this a problem since it has happened two months in a row. I would like to know what the next steps should be for me to take if it is a problem or if I just need to try to get on top of taking my pill everyday. Please let me know, thank you.

Symptoms:  Period is heavier first time (cramps, pain lower back) and lasts for a few days. Next period is light hardly any cramping or lower back pain
Doctor