Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Periods and pregnancy

Periods and pregnancy

Patient: Can i become pregnant if i have my periods an hour after having sex . hi there..i had sex with my bf last month on 10th about an hour later wen i came home i found out that my periods have started .. can i still become pregnant if my periods happen an hour later after having sex?or the periods were a sign that m not pregnant

Doctor: Hello, I understand your doubt about pregnancy and menstruation. Surely, let me reassure you that there is no possibilit y of pregnancy in your case. Menstruation occurred in the same day of your sexual encounter, meaning that the egg is not fertile anymore and the uterus lining is also not prepared for implantation. In the future to avoid unwanted pregnancies, you might want to talk to your health care provider about contraceptive methods. He or she would kindly explain them to you and suggest you the best choice. I wish you the best.