Periods twice a month

Q: Dr.

I am a 22 year old with a problem with my periods. Over the last three months I been having my periods twice a month alomost every 12-14 days. I have been sexually active abount once or twice a week. What do you think is wrong with me.

A:   Hello, I understand your concern about your irregular periods. Let me reassure you that this is more common than you think. Most irregular periods are benign. Missed periods, too frequent periods, spotting, or bouts of heavy clotting and bleeding are usually caused by an underlying hormonal imbalance that might be easily treated.There is no specific cause for women who get more than one period in the span of a month but stress and lifestyle play a major role. Ingesting medication or other substances that disrupt the luteal phase may be a factor, as well. Hormonal imbalances could be caused also by problems in the thyroid; I suggest you to consult your Gynecologist to rule out the exact diagnosis, he or she might need a more detailed history and examination and possibly blood work to measure your Hormones levels. I wish you the best.