Peripheral Neuropathy: most common causes

Q: My fingers and hands feel like I have gloves on. My feet feel the same and it seems like the sensation is moving up my arms and legs. What is this?

A:   Amongst the multiple causes of tingling and numbness of the extremities (hands and feet), also known as Peripheral Neuropathy there are: vitamin deficiencies (Vitamin B12,B6, B1, folate or E), nerve compressions at the level of the spine, alcohol abuse, problems with the peripheral nerves of hands and feet, lead poisoning and metabolic causes as problems with the Thyroid gland and Diabetes.
I would advise you to get an appointment with your PCP and it might be important to rule out Diabetes, which can produce the symptoms that you described above: “glove and stocking” distribution of pain and numbness.
Once that your physician has ruled out Diabetes, then, the vitamin deficiencies, thyroid problems and the other causes must be ruled out.
There is no specific treatment for the peripheral neuropathy; the objective is to remove the underlying cause and to control the pain.