Persistant Pain in the Shoulder Blade Area

Q: My husband has been suffering with pain in his shoulder blade for a couple of months. It hurts worse when he is at rest but it improves when he is moving his arm. He could be sitting still and it will hurt so he will rotate his arm and it will feel better. There is also some popping and clicking sounds when he moves his arm but it doesn't cause him any pain. Recently his arm will "fall asleep" when he isn't using his arm. If he is actively moving, it won't fall asleep.

Symptoms:  Shoulder pain at rest improves with movement, arm falling asleep