x
67 Physicians Online

Question:

Persistent back pain in a boxer

I have tried relaxing no training what so ever, my massage tharapist stated that it seems like my body is just defending it self and not relaxing, im not sure what to do from this point, how long should i stay out of the ring

Answer:

Probably you are experiencing a Mechanical low back pain (LBP) due to a muscle sprain during your training  . Mechanical low back pain is the second most common reason for seeing a physician in the United States. Of the US population, 85% will experience an episode of mechanical LBP at some point during their lifetime. The LBP tends to resolve within some weeks if you  follow these conservative measures: a physical therapy program aimed to control the pain and the inflammatory process and teach you flexion and extension exercises of the spine to reduce the nerve tension, these exercises will improve the muscular strength and endurance of your lumbar muscles. Also is very important to keep a good posture at all times and practice low-impact activities such as swimming, walking, and bicycling, these can increase overall fitness without straining your low back. Try also to recognize if you are making any inappropriate movement during your training and correct it.While standing, keep your head up and stomach pulled in. If you are required to stand for long periods of time, you should have a small stool on which to rest one foot at a time. Do not wear high heels and keep your weight under control. The use of anti-inflammatory medication (i.e.: “motrin”, “advil”, “aleve”) can be beneficial to manage the pain if you are not lactating. Nearly everyone improves within a month following these conservative measures if it is a mechanical back pain. Otherwise, if the back pain persists for more than 2 months, in despite of the above mentioned measures, the evaluation by a physician to rule out other possible causes than just mechanic or postural is recommended.

Have a Question? Ask The Doctor Here.

Sign In to join in the conversation.