Persistent hiccuping! I have been hiccuping for the past 2

Patient

Q: Persistent hiccuping!
I have been hiccuping for the past 2 days now and it is getting very annoying.
I cannot sleep or do anything without hiccuping!
How do I get rid of this?

Doctor

Welcome to ATD. Thank you for the query.

There are a number of things you can try yourself initially that may help to stop your hiccups. These include:
sipping ice-cold water
holding your breath for a short period
biting on a lemon
swallowing granulated sugar
tasting vinegar
breathing into a paper bag (never place a bag over your head)
pulling your knees up to your chest
leaning forward to compress your chest

If an underlying health condition is causing your hiccups, treating it may help to resolve the problem.
For example, if you are diagnosed with gastro-oesophageal reflux disease (GORD), you may be prescribed a medication called a proton pump inhibitor (PPI) to reduce the amount of acid produced by your stomach.
Some conditions that cause persistent and intractable hiccups may need to be assessed and treated by a specialist. If this is the case, your GP will refer you to the appropriate healthcare professional, who will carry out further investigations and recommend appropriate treatment.

Hope this helps. Take care.