Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Persistent Hiccups for 4 days

Persistent Hiccups for 4 days

Patient: I am 36 years old male. I have cold (cough, runny nose, etc) for about a week. I developed persistent hiccups for the last 4 days. I have been to the emergency center twice: first time they made the hiccups stop using chlorpromazine+benadryl. But the hiccups came back next day. And they prescribed me those drugs. I wonder if you have any comments. I also what to go to a specialist, but I am not sure which one?

Symptoms: Persistent Hiccups

Doctor: Hello. Welcome to askthedoctor.com.The most likely reason for this is the reflux which may be silent leading to pers istent hiccups. Take combination of pantoprazole with domperidone. Take plenty of water. Even after that if it persists , get your kidney function tests done to look for uremia.I hope it helps.You may discuss this with your treating doctor, I am sure he will also agree with my opinion.Take care .