Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Persistent pain after shoulder dislocation

Persistent pain after shoulder dislocation

Patient: I dislocated my left shoulder about a month and a half ago but the pain and stiffness in my shoulder and arm still persists. The x-ray revealed a loose socket. And the MRI images revealed a tear in the labrum. Note I couldn’t continue the MRI session which was supposed to be 20 min. I asked them to stop it after 3 min, due to the overwhelming pain i feel in my shoulder while lying on my back.I’ve dislocated by shoulder before 5 times, and it would always get better after a few days. It’s been about 6 weeks, and my arm still feels stiff, I cannot lift in all the way. I cannot carry anything heavy and I have a lot of pain in my back shoulder. Is this normal? How long is it supposed to take till my shoulder heals?

Symptoms: Stiff arm, arm feels heavy and sometimes tingly, pain in the back shoulder

Doctor: Thank you for your question. It is possible that you have that your repeated shoulder dislocations have resulted in an i njury to the rotator cuff of the shoulder. The rotator cuff is a group of muscles form the shoulder joint and is responsible for its articulation. Rotator cuff injuries can range from strains of the rotator cuff muscles to complete tears of the rotator cuff muscles. The severity of this rotator cuff injury will determine the type of treatment you will require along with the duration of healing. In order to determine the best course of treatment, you will need to have your shoulder examined by your doctor and have an MRI conducted of your shoulder to determine the severity of this injury. Please see your doctor as soon as possible.Thank you for choosing AskTheDoctor.com