Persistent Sore Throat and Non Allergic Rhinitis

Q: I was diagnosed as having post nasal drip about 3 years ago, probably induced due to the airconditioned environment I work in. Sinve then, I been on inhaled steroids due to dry cough. However, my symptoms did get better. But, about 3 weeks ago, I woke up feeling a sore throat, persistent dry cough amd severe earpain. My GP told me that it was caused due to excessive post nasal drip I was having. I was given Clarinase and Muciclar capsules, and Avamys Nasal Spray. The symtpoms got worse after 5 days and I was given a 5 day course of Clarithromycin. It started getting better, and all symptoms subsided. However, the doctor told me I still had blockage in my passages due to the dripping. Anyway, after one day that I got back to work, I been having a really sore throat again, so bad I can't even swallow my own saliva. I am taking regular anti inflammatories (that do help in reducing pain). However when the next dose is needed, the pain increases again. I might be worried that it's something chronic?

A:    Post nasal drip has become chronic symptom for you, its caused by increased secretions in your nose, the increased secretions due to the air conditioned environment at your work.
In order to avoid the symptoms you may want to try to move your seat to a place that is away from the air-conditioning  vents, or facing the opposite direction of the vent.
Secondly you may want to consult an ENT specialist (Ear, Nose Throat), to rule out any sinus, ear or throat infection, and also check for a nasal polyp that may have developed which could be causing the severe pain, congestion and dry cough.
Treating the cause of the post nasal drip is key to curing the sore throat and other symptoms.