Petechiae and pain common after blood pressure machine

Patient

Q: Today I went to see a podiatrist, and the nurse took my blood pressure with one of those automated machines. I have had my blood pressure taken before by a human being, and it hurts a bit, but it's nothing to cry about.
This machine, however caused so much pain that I was clawing at the cuff and begged the nurse to turn it off. The first thing I noticed was that my fingers began twitching and tingling. After a few minutes I was alright, despite continued pins and needles.

The nurse said that she had the wrong cuff and changed it. I was hesitant, but I let her attempt another reading with the other arm. It too was insanely painful but I gritted my teeth and got through it. Not surprisingly my blood pressure was a bit elevated.

This evening I am experiencing soreness, and upon examination my husband discovered large areas of perechiae on the underside of both arms, and a bruise on the arm which I suffered the most pain.

Ruptures and soreness can't be a normal reaction with these blood pressure machines, can it? The nurse treated me like I was exaggerating, but It just seems to me that if this were normal with the good ole fashioned BP cuff, then everyone would be diagnosed with high blood pressure.

Doctor