Phenormin withdrawn from the market by FDA

Patient

Q: Is it safe to take warfarin,orabolin and phenformin at the same time?

Doctor

A:   There are no direct drug interactions between warfarin (an anticoagulant) and phenormin (biguanide class anti-diabetic drug). However orabolin (anabolic steroid) may alter fasting blood sugar levels and glucose tolerance tests and affect blood sugar control in diabetes. For your information the FDA withdrew phenormin from the US market in 1978, due to the high risk of lactic acidosis, which was fatal in 50% of cases. I would advise attending your family physician for prescription of a suitable alternative such as metformin, for treatment of type II diabetes mellitus.