x
178 Physicians Online

Question:

Phentermine adverse effects on the gastrointestinal system

Is it okay to take phentermine if you have erosive gastritis?

Answer:

Phentermine is an appetite suppressant approved by the FDA for short term use to help reduce weight in obese patients, in addition to a healthy diet and exercise regimen. It works on the hypothalamus of the brain, to release noradrenaline, a chemical that produces the fight-or-flight-response to reduce hunger. It may be associated with increased heartburn or acid reflux, abdominal pain, and nausea or vomiting, and the use of antacids may decrease the excretion of phentermine. I would consult with your family physician or gastroenterologist, prior to commencing this medication, and close monitoring of symptoms of gastritis would be recommended.

Sign In to join in the conversation.

You’re in good hands, meet ATD’s founding physicians.

• Board Certified GP
  • CMO ATD Health Network Inc.
  • Adjunct Professor at U Of T

• Board Certified Plastic Surgeon
  • Director ATD Health Network Inc.
  • Fellowship Training Atlanta, GA