Photoselective vaporization of the prostate

Patient

Q: Would you please explain the procedure for vaporization of the prostate and postvid residuals' I am presently showing PSA of marker 2.4 after the initial PSA Marker 19-9; My age is 79yrs. I underwent a cystoscopy and bladder appeared O.K.

Doctor

A:   Photoselective vaporization of the prostate has re-emerged as options for treating benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH). This procedure involves using lasers to form pulsatile vapour bubbles at the tip of the end firing optical fibres to cut the prostate tissue.