Pic of my anus is attached Is it normal? I

Q: Pic of my anus is attached. Is it normal? I feel itching and burning in it. Kindly advise

A:   Hi.
Thanks for your query.
Read and understood your problem.
Please attach the picture again as it is not visualized.

The commonest causes of burning and itching in the anal area are as follows:
- Intestinal infection.
- Procto-colitis of any reason.
- Dermatitis. Here the skin loses its integrity / normal strength.
- If itching is only at night, it is suggestive of worms infestation.
- Local skin conditions / diseases of a specific nature.

I would advise in such a patient the following:
- First of all, to take a 5 day course of an antibiotic, Metronidazole, Probiotic and medicines for symptomatic relief like for itching. And a tablet for worms.
- Sitz bath in a tub with warm water for soothing action, for proper cleaning of the area with cotton soaked in the same water. Then to dry the area with cotton cloth or hair dryer.
- To keep the area as much ventilated as much possible at when you are at home.
- Use loose undergarments.
- Avoid hot and humid places.
- Avoid all foods and beverages if you have noticed them to start or increase the problems.
I am sure all the things together gives relief in many patients unless the basic cause if up in the rectum or colon.

If there is no complete relief, further investigation in the form of Proctoscopy and colonoscopy, ultrasonography or better CT scan of the abdomen (to rule out any major problems) will be needed. Of course this will be most effective if you undergo all these things under the guidance of a General Surgeon or a Gastroenterologist. (you also need a valid prescription and order for investigations).

I hope this answer helps you, please feel free to ask further relevant queries if you need to or if you feel that there is a gap-of-communication or if you want to provide any further information.