Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Pills went down wrong pipe?

Pills went down wrong pipe?

Patient: I took my pills and it feels like one or more went down the wrong pipe. I am worried because I don’t know which pill or pills it was and the effects it could have. It could be Zoloft, Wellbutrin, or lithium.

Doctor: Hello,Thank you for your query at AskTheDoctor.comI understand your concern.Please do not worry about the drug p assing on to the wrong pipe or the windpipe. This is just your anxiety. The food pipe and the windpipe are distinctly located, so food can’t pass on to the windpipe. If it did, there will be severe chest pain, with possible shortness of breathing. It can also accompany cough and choking.So please do not worry. However, if you have the above-mentioned symptoms, then you should get yourself examined by your Physician.Hope this was helpful,Regards.